There was a great parody to the movie Her posted a few years back, called Him: (earmuffs for the youngin’s…)
Basically, instead of Scarlett Johansson as the AI assistant, it portrays a Seth Rogen-like character who starts out as appealing but then quickly becomes annoying.
Nerding out on this clip, we can think about why the AI assistant is annoying:
- It interrupts at work or during a focus period
- It messes up appointments and reminders
- It asks questions without considering the response
- It disappears for a few days and then returns
- It doesn’t quite get the user’s taste in music
- It changes speech output (as a different character) unexpectedly
These are the same things that can make Alexa, Google Assistant, Bixby, Siri, Cortana, or other AI assistant’s annoying as well. We should learn from Him and avoid them in our AI designs.