Going down the road of voice predictions for 2018, here are a few things we’re likely to see by the end of the year:
- TTS will be unrecognizably good. We won’t be able to differentiate between human an speech synthesis.
- STT will match human error rate in English and we’ll likely get to same in other languages.
- There will be at least two other AI-assistant powered speakers/devices on the market. Likely Bixby but maybe others like Facebook.
- We’ll get to 50% of US households with a smart speaker product. Most will be either Amazon or Google.
- We’ll get to over 75,000 Alexa Skills with many new applications focused on business and Echo Show interactions.
- There will be many more in-car Google Assistant and Alexa integrations. Some cars will ship standard.
- Someone will demo voice interactive autonomous driving.
- Apple HomePod might be rolled into a new product and may not get launched.
- Google will create a service as quick as Amazon Prime together with another retailer.
- Computer vision and voice analysis will be better at identifying human emotion than humans.
Maybe half of these will come to light. Exciting to see what’s ahead!