There is a non-trivial amount of effort that’s required to use voice. Just going through the mental task list:
- Originate the desired question
- Understand what information would be required to answer that question
- Understand the sources of information to retrieve the answer
- Formulate the words of the request
- Actuate the voice input (take out a phone, face towards an Echo, etc)
- Vocalize the request
- Anticipate the response
Other factors that are consciously or unconsciously considered:
- Is someone else present?
- What will they think of my question?
- How far am I from the device?
- How much noise is there around me? How likely is my request to be successful?
Are there ways we can reduce the amount of effort required before a voice command is made?