I tried to turn a bug into a feature but it ended up making me feel like I cut corners to say that I shipped.
Recently, I released a Skill. It’s like Simon Says but you get to pick the name. It’s called Your Name Says. It doesn’t really operate as I hoped it would. A few things that trouble me:
- It was designed to run in an endless loop until a user exits. It doesn’t. It gives up after about 15 turns.
- The entire loop generates a single utterance to Alexa. It sends the text generated from 15 loops for a single utterance. I’d want a new utterance for each.
- It’s not really random. At least, it doesn’t feel random. Two random paths are in serial and there seem to be too many repetitions.
For the latter, I didn’t see a clear way of debugging. For the former, I tried in Voiceflow to figure out what I was doing wrong. I lost patience trying to debug. In the end, I added a phrase at the beginning to say that the user had to come back to the Skill to play again.
Not elegant, but it turned a bug into a feature.